Salad #19: Chicken and Apple Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing
I bet you were thinking that because it’s almost wintertime, my 52 Salad Recipe series would go into hibernation. Well, I’m here today with Salad #19. So if that was your train of thought, switch directions and get yourself into the kitchen because you are going to want to make this Chicken and Apple Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing.
As the weather gets colder, here in this Fox Kitchen, we look to heartier salads. Add a Thai style dressing with a bit of spicy heat and hello … get in my tummy now!
As far as cold weather salads go, this Chicken and Apple Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing has it all. It’s a pretty looking salad isn’t it? It’s one that made a satisfying meal for both Mr Fox and me. One that would pack up easily for lunch at the office (pack the dressing in a small jar to pour over the salad just before serving).
Or layer it kit and caboodle in a mason jar. You know, like all those pretty ones we always see on Pinterest. Remember the trick to packing salads in a mason jar, is to add the dressing first and then top it with an ingredient that will sit happily in the dressing for a day or two. Then you can pile the other ingredients on top. I think with these ingredients I would add the dressing, then the apples, or the onions, and then everything else.
Can’t you just picture yourself at the office with a smug smile on your face because you know everyone is in the lunchroom ogling that pretty jar of salad in the fridge.
When you’re ready to eat, just dump the salad into a big bowl and sit back with it. Now, before you dig in, put on your best sheepish grin and flash it around the room because you should at least appear to feel ashamed about not bringing enough for everybody.
Now dig in! Mason Jar Salad for the win! High fives all around.
Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free | Real Food
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2-3 tsp Sriracha (hot chili sauce)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked, cooled and thinly sliced
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and torn into bite size pieces
- 1 large apple, cored and cubed
- 1/3 of a cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/3 Cup packed cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- peanuts for garnish
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small jar with tight-fitting lid. Shake vigorously until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Divide and mound lettuce on salad plates. Arrange chicken, apple, cucumber, red onion and cilantro on top. Drizzle each salad with some of the dressing, top with peanuts (if using) and serve.
~ Adjust Sriracha spice level to desired taste. I used 3 tsp which was perfect for us.
To see a text listing of Laureen’s gluten free recipes, click here
For dairy, egg, nut and gluten free flour substitutions, click here
This post is linked to the following events:
Melt In Your Mouth Monday | Monday Funday Linky Party | Mostly Homemade Mondays | Hearth and Soul Hop | Tuesdays With a Twist | Moonlight & Mason Jars Link Party | Allergy Free Wednesdays | Waste Not Want Not Wednesday | Full Plate Thursday | Real Food Friday | Gluten Free Fridays | Weekend Re-Treat Link Party | Foodie Friends Friday | Awesome Life Friday | Let’s Get Real Friday | FoodieFriDIY | Savoring Saturdays | Learning From Each Other Linky Party
Copyright © thisfoxkitchen.com