Salad #18: Apple and Napa Cabbage Salad with Mayo Dressing
This salad is quick to fix and enjoy as an accompaniment to your evening meal, or take it to the office for a nice satisfying lunch. We found that Napa (or Chinese) Cabbage is a nice change from the usual lettuce greens. It’s refreshing and not as heavy as our more traditional red or green cabbages.
Here in this Fox Kitchen, we think the creamy mayonnaise dressing is the perfect complement to the light and mild salad ingredients. Although, we did enjoy it with an extra touch of fresh ground pepper. Sort of a sweet and peppery mix.
I’ve included pictures and instructions for presenting the salad in two different ways. The first option is to assemble the salad on each plate (with apple slices lining the outer edge) and the second option is to chop the apples and toss them in with the other salad ingredients. The first option is nice for smaller gatherings, while the second option is better suited for family, or potluck meals where there are more people to serve.
You may also notice from the pictures, that we used dried cranberries the first time and raisins the second time. Both were good but we enjoyed the cranberries a bit more than the raisins.
This Apple and Napa Cabbage Salad with Mayo Dressing is number 18 in this Fox Kitchen’s 52 Salad Recipe Series.
Gluten Free | Grain Free | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free | Real Food | Vegan (option) | Vegetarian | Paleo (option)</span>
- 1/2 Cup almond milk, or milk substitute of choice
- 1/2 Cup GF mayonnaise **see notes below
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tsp real maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- pinch fresh ground pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients, or add dressing ingredients to a small mason jar and shake well before serving.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss cabbage, onion (if using), dried cranberries, almonds and Parmesan, reserving some of the Parmesan cheese to garnish each plate before serving.
- Arrange apple slices on the outer edges of each salad plate. Fill the center with spoonfuls of the tossed salad ingredients. Drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with reserved parmesan crumbs and a generous pinch of fresh ground pepper. Serve immediately.
2) ***Vegan/Paleo option
Sub dairy free mayo and omit parmesan cheese.
To see a text listing of Laureen’s gluten free recipes, click here
For dairy, egg, nut and gluten free flour substitutions, click here
Copyright © thisfoxkitchen.com