Salad #1: BLT Romaine and Egg Salad with Mustard Dressing
The first salad out of the gate in my 52 Salad Recipes series and already I’m breaking my rules … sigh … hopefully my behavior will improve as the series progresses.
In a perfect world, this Fox would wait for fresh lettuces to come available in the local farmers market, or the produce store that’s just around the corner from home … but you know how it is … sometimes you get a hankering for something and there’s just no waiting for the right season to come along.
A major craving, that’s what happened after I saw this Pin on Pinterest and then I thought ooooh, add some bacon and tomatoes and we have a gluten free salad that’s reminiscent of a BLT sandwich.
Twenty minutes after that Pinterest sighting, I had one of these delicious salads on a plate in front of me. The timing seemed perfect, as this Fox Kitchen had all the necessary ingredients on hand. Right down to slices of cooked bacon in the freezer!
Have you ever tried freezing cooked bacon? I’m in the habit of intentionally cooking up more bacon than the two of us could ever eat in one sitting. I do it just so there’s extra to tuck away for a quick bacon fix at times when I don’t have time to cook. Smart eh?
This simple salad uses ingredients that are readily available year round in the Vancouver area but they’re not necessarily all locally grown. Peak season for lettuce is May through November but fresh heads of romaine lettuce are always available here in our local stores.
If you don’t have cooked bacon on hand, no worries, it will only take minutes to cook up a few slices while the eggs are boiling. The timing will be close, with both being done at about the same time.
The ingredients in this salad are best layered on salad plates instead of tossed together in a bowl.
Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free | Refined Sugar Free | Real Food | Paleo
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp real maple syrup
- 6 tbsp avocado oil, or salad oil of choice
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, torn, or chopped
- 8-10 grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 eggs, boiled 5-6 minutes (or poached if you prefer), cool slightly, then peel and chop
- 3-4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- green onion, chopped
- Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl or small mason jar. Set aside.
- Cook bacon and eggs (if you haven't already done so). Arrange prepared lettuce on individual salad plates and layer tomatoes, eggs and bacon on top. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.
- Store extra dressing in the fridge. Use within a week.
To see a text listing of Laureen’s gluten free recipes, click here
For dairy, egg, nut and gluten free flour substitutions, click here
Copyright © thisfoxkitchen.com