Recipe: Sharp-Cheddar Shortbread Cookies (Gluten Free) :: Easy Like A Sunday Morning
Easy Like a Sunday Morning, that’s how the recipes in my “Easy” category will be. Nothing rushed or frantic, nothing with a long list of ingredients. Something that is so easy, you don’t really need a recipe. Something that almost cooks itself or requires no cooking at all.
Have you ever tried savoury cookies? Of course you must have. I’m pretty sure you ran to the kitchen to bake some Bacon Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies as soon as you saw the recipe last week…lol
Hey, I’m 55 years old, I don’t say things like lol…but then again, maybe I do. After all, it’s one of a gazillion acronyms that have become a part of our everyday language
Anyways, savoury cookies have become my latest obsession, so it’s only natural that I took to these after my SIL who was in Chicago for Thanksgiving posted a similar recipe on Facebook.
A search for a gluten free version of Cheddar Shortbread Cookies failed to come up with any results. So there I was, in my element, a pencil in one hand and measuring spoon in the other. This recipe is the result and I must say I’m rather smitten with these un-sweet cookies!
You can bet these lovelies will make an appearance on this year’s Holiday Baking List.
I added cayenne pepper to my version but it’s totally optional. Same goes for rolling the cookie dough in pecans, or shaping the roll into a square instead of a traditional round cookie shape…totally up to you.
I was thinking maybe next time I might leave out the cayenne and pair these cookies up with a dab of jalapeño jelly. How about some Cheddar Jalapeño Thumbprint Cookies? Now that sounds intriguing doesn’t it?
Oh well, the Holidays are fast approaching and I’m not sure I have much time for experimenting in the kitchen but come the New Year, you can bet I will be back at it. Look out Fox Family (aka Tasting Panel), there’s more gluten free fabulousness coming your way…lol
- Always refer to packaging labels for the most up to date allergy information
- ½ Cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ⅛ to ¼ tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 Cup extra-sharp old white Cheddar cheese (choose one that is on the dry side), finely shredded
- 1 Cup all-purpose gluten free flour (a light starchy blend will give the best results), you can make your own blend ***see ingredients listed below
- ¼ Cup pecans, finely chopped (I used my mini-chopper)
- Use an electric mixer or a food processor to beat (or pulse) butter, black pepper, salt and cayenne together until blended.
- Add Cheddar and gluten free flour mix, mix at low-speed, or if using a food processor, pulse a few times until just blended.
- Shape dough into two 6 inch long logs. Gently roll each log in chopped nuts (if using) and then wrap cookie dough in wax paper. Chill for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F, line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice chilled dough logs into ¼ inch thick rounds, and place on paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven, and let sit for 5 minutes before transferring to wire cooling racks.
- Let cool completely before serving.
I make my gluten free All-Purpose flour mix using the following ingredients - ¼ Cup sweet white rice flour, ¼ Cup millet flour, ¼ Cup tapioca starch/flour, 2 Tbsp amaranth flour or quinoa flour and 2 Tbsp potato starch (not potato flour)
To see a text listing of Laureen’s gluten free recipes, click here
Copyright © thisfoxkitchen.com