Recipe: Mexican Lasagna
Easy Like a Sunday Morning, that’s how the recipes in my “Easy” category will be. Nothing rushed or frantic, nothing with a long list of ingredients. Something that is so easy, you don’t really need a recipe. Something that almost cooks itself or requires no cooking at all.
This Mexican Lasagna casserole is a very popular dish in the Fox Household. Enjoyed by everyone regardless of whether they are gluten free or not, it is one of the quickest and easiest casserole type of dishes you’ll ever put together.
For those of us with Celiac or Gluten Intolerance, this recipe uses corn tortillas, salsa and refried beans. Processed foods that may contain gluten. Remember to read the packaging labels. You don’t want to get home and find you can’t use some of the ingredients because they may contain gluten.
We like this Mexican Lasagna topped with sour cream, guacamole and fresh salsa. My Quinoa Toasted Corn And Bean Salad is the perfect companion for this dish. If I don’t have the time or ingredients to make a salad, I will cook up a big pot of brown and wild rice instead.
This recipe is for a vegetarian version but I have often cooked up a pound of ground meat (turkey or beef are our favourites) and mixed the cooked meat in with the bean mixture before assembling the lasagna. Either with or without meat, it’s a delicious easy quick fix for a weeknight dinner.
This lasagna is also freezer friendly. Make up a double batch and slip the extra into the freezer for another day.
- Always refer to packaging labels for the most up to date allergy information
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp virgin coconut oil, or fat of choice
- 1 can (14 oz) corn, drained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅔ Cup Gluten Free salsa
- 1 can (14 oz) Gluten Free refried beans
- 12 6-inch Gluten Free corn tortillas
- 8 to 10 oz shredded cheese
- tomato, very thinly sliced
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion until lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add corn, cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and salt, cook stirring frequently until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat 9×13 casserole dish with gluten free cooking spray, or fat of choice.
- Cut 4 tortillas to cover bottom of dish.
- In medium bowl, combine onion corn mixture, salsa and refried beans. Spread bean mixture over tortillas and top with half of the cheese.
- Top with another layer of tortillas and bean mixture. Top with last layer of tortillas and remaining cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Tent foil slightly so it doesn’t touch the cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cheese has melted. Remove foil, arrange tomato slices (if using) in a single layer on top. Return lasagna to oven and continue baking another 10-15 minutes until top is golden brown. Sprinkle with cilantro, continue baking another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to sit in pan for 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
- Serve topped with sour cream, guacamole and fresh salsa. The Quinoa Toasted Corn And Bean Salad is a perfect accompaniment for this dish.
To see a text listing of Laureen’s gluten free recipes, click here
For dairy, egg, nut and gluten free flour substitutions, click here
This post is linked to the following events:
Make Your Own! Mondays | Gluten Free Recipe Round Up | Melt In Your Mouth Monday | Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays | Hearth and Soul Hop | Gluten Free Wednesdays | Allergy Free Wednesdays | Waste Not Want Not Wednesday | Wheat Free Wednesday | Full Plate Thursday | Pennywise Platter Thursday | Gluten Free Fridays | Foodie Friends Friday | Tuesdays With a Twist
Copyright © thisfoxkitchen.com