Recipe: Crustless Quinoa Veggie Pie :: Easy Like A Sunday Morning
Easy Like a Sunday Morning, that’s how the recipes in my “Easy” category will be. Nothing rushed or frantic, nothing with a long list of ingredients. Something that is so easy, you don’t really need a recipe. Something that almost cooks itself or requires no cooking at all.
Hello my friends, I missed you while I was away last week. We went “camping” in the Okanagan. It feels a bit weird to call it camping, we spent three nights in a travel trailer parked one block off main street in the small town of Oliver, BC.
We did get lots of fresh air and soaked up some good old vitamin D. We ate all of our meals outside in the shade of some beautiful old trees but there were no fire pits and the toilets we used were the flushing kind. Heck, we even had nice hot showers everyday. Nope, not the kind of camping we used to do when our kids were little. Ah well, I’m not going to grumble about missing out on getting grubby and smelly.
The best thing about our trip was getting to spend time with family! I even got to raid my Dad’s tomato patch.
I brought home a nice little box of fresh tomatoes. I used most of them to make some Fresh Tomato Marinara Sauce to put away in the freezer and I used one of the tomatoes to garnish these Veggie Pies.
This naturally gluten free dish is one that I have made often over the years. It’s quick and easy to put together and I love how versatile it is. Don’t like broccoli? Switch it up with another vegetable. Asparagus is lovely in this dish, as is cauliflower. Serve this pie at any meal of the day…breakfast, lunch, brunch, dinner, or as a snack.
I usually make one large veggie pie but my beautiful old glass pie plate had a great fall, along with one of the nicest gluten free apple and pear pies you’ll ever have seen. Unfortunately, the fall happened before I could to snap any pictures of my masterpiece. Both the pie and the pie plate were a complete write off. I may have uttered a few curse words.
Until I replace my old glass pie plate, these oversize (24 ounce) ramekins make a good stand in. I’m sure individual size ramekins would work well too, or you could make bite size mini quinoa veggie pies in a muffin tin.
Inspiration for this recipe comes from Eating Alive
Gluten Free | Refined Sugar Free | Grain Free | Real Food | Vegetarian
- 1 Cup quinoa, cooked (about ⅓ cup uncooked, rinsed and boiled for 12 minutes in ⅔ cup of water)
- 1 head of fresh broccoli, about 2 Cups florets, steamed for 2-3 minutes
- 4 extra-large eggs
- ⅓ Cup milk or dairy free substitute of choice
- ½ Cup Asiago cheese, grated, or cheese of choice
- 1 small carrot, grated, about ½ Cup
- 1 Tbsp green onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 small ripe red tomato, cut in thin strips and then in half, used to garnish a pinwheel pattern on top
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly butter or oil a 9 inch pie pan, or two 20 ounce ramekins, or 4 individual ramekins.
- Prepare the broccoli and quinoa, set aside to cool.
- Add eggs to a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Stir in the milk. Add grated cheese, carrot, green onion (if using), garlic, oregano, and salt. Add the cooled broccoli and quinoa, stir until well mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared pan(s). Arrange the tomato strips in a pinwheel shape on top.
- Bake at for 25 to 30 minutes, 20 to 25 for smaller ramekins, or until the eggs set. You can put the pies under the broiler for a minute or two to brown the top.
This veggie pie is also good with asparagus, or cauliflower in place of the broccoli.
You can use red pepper strips in place of the tomato slices on top.
To see a text listing of Laureen’s gluten free recipes, click here
For dairy, egg, nut and gluten free flour substitutions, click here
This recipe featured at:
This post is linked to the following events:
My Meatless Mondays | Melt In Your Mouth Monday | Make Your Own! Mondays | Fat Tuesday | Hearth and Soul Hop | Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays | Traditional Tuesdays | Gluten Free Wednesdays | Allergy Free Wednesdays | Recipe Box | Real Food Wednesday | Pennywise Platter Thursday | This Is Real Thursday | Whole Food Fridays | Allergy Friendly Friday | Foodie Friday | Gluten Free Fridays | Snacktime Saturday
Copyright © thisfoxkitchen.com