Recipe: Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
I fell in love with the colours in this Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole when I first spotted it on Pinterest.
A quick peek in my pantry and I figured I had enough ingredients to make a casserole that resembled the one I had admired on Pinterest.
We tried out this Chicken and Wild Rice creation again tonight, this is about the third or fourth time I’ve made this casserole. It seems destined to become one of our Family favourites.
I made a double batch because this casserole freezes well. I ended up with one large 9×13 baking dish that easily fed 6 adults and two smaller 8×8 baking dishes to tuck away in the freezer for those evenings when it’s just the two of us and neither one of us feels much like cooking. I just love it when I can cook once (and cut the clean up by half) but manage to get two or three meals for my efforts!
This evening I steamed some cauliflower to go along with our casserole. It paired so beautifully with the green chili, cheese and cream sauce, I’m thinking I might add some cooked cauliflower florets to the chicken and rice mixture the next time I make this casserole.
I think you’re going to love that most of the ingredients in this dish are naturally gluten free. Mainstream grocery items that can easily be found at any supermarket. The one thing I would caution you on is the vegetable broth. If you are buying broth, make sure it is gluten free. Last year, when I first went gluten free, I was shocked when I found out the can of clear chicken broth I picked up from the grocery store, had wheat gluten in the list of ingredients.
I’ve been working on a similar casserole with ground turkey, wild rice and fresh cranberries instead of the green chilies. That casserole is as pretty as it is tasty. I will have to get that recipe posted for you soon.
Inspired by Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole at Picky Palate.
Gluten Free | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free | Real Food
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Cups shredded, cooked boneless chicken breast (about 2 large)
- 2 1/2 Cups brown basmati rice, cooked (about 1 cup uncooked)
- 1 1/4 Cups GF wild rice, cooked (about 1/2 cup uncooked)
- 1 Cup plain unsweetened yogurt, or sour cream
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch, or thickener of choice
- 1 small can green chilies
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Cups GF broth
- 1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
- handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil into a medium pot over medium heat. Saute onion and carrots until softened, stir in garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in cooked chicken, both rices, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low.
- Pour the GF broth in a medium saucepan, add cornstarch, whisk continuously over medium high heat, add salt and pepper. Continue whisking until thick and near boiling, stir in cheese, whisk until melted, add yogurt, whisk again. Pour cheese sauce into rice mixture, mix it all together and transfer to prepared baking dish. Top with 1 Cup additional cheddar cheese.
- Casserole can be prepared to this point and then chilled or frozen for later use. If casserole is cold when it goes in the oven, increase baking time by 10-15 minutes. If frozen, allow to defrost in the refrigerator overnight before baking, or defrost in a microwave oven.
- Bake covered for 40 minutes or until cheese has melted through. Remove cover, sprinkle top with fresh chopped cilantro. Return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes, until top is golden. Serve hot.
Variations: ***Please keep in mind that making substitutions will change the final outcome.
~ Vegetarian option – omit chicken, add 1 can of chick peas and a handful of hazelnuts, coarsely chopped.
To see a text listing of Laureen’s gluten free recipes, click here
For dairy, egg, nut and gluten free flour substitutions, click here
Copyright © thisfoxkitchen.com