Recipe: Cashew Chicken Stir Fry :: MMM (Must Make Monday)
I have been a collector of recipes for as long as I can remember but I never manage to find enough time to try all the recipes I collect and that was the reason my MMM (Must-Make-Monday) series was born. The idea is to force myself to choose at least one recipe from my Must-Make-List each week. I will post the results on my blog. Solid idea, or so I thought, but with my recipe collection growing faster than the speed of light, I could use a month of Mondays and still not get to half of the recipes in my collection(s). That’s the other thing, since I started this blog, my collection has become plural. It started with the Must-Make-Page on my site but I also have a Must-Make Board on Pinterest.
My MMM (Must-Make-Monday) series, is good in that it forces me to follow through and use recipes from my collection(s). After using a recipe, I check it off and add it to Made-This (TAB). You can view archive postings from my MMM (Must-Make-Monday) series, by clicking here.
To start things off this week, here are a few recipes, that I’ve come across recently. I’ve categorized them but they are listed in no particular order. These are recipes that I would love to try but haven’t gotten around to yet. They are to become the newest additions to my Must-Make-List.
Important *** I have not tagged these recipe links as Gluten, Grain, Sugar, Dairy, Egg or Nut Free, nor have I labelled them as Vegan or Vegetarian. Please review and confirm the recipe meets your dietary requirements before you begin.
- Homemade Sugar Free Alcohol Free Vanilla Extract by Simply Sugar And Gluten Free. I’m making some vodka based vanilla but I like the idea of making an alcohol free version.
- Baked Apple Hazelnut Wedges by Daily Bites. Wow, baked apple wedges, now why didn’t I think of that? Can’t wait to try this recipe!
- Espresso Brownies with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting by Real Sustenance. Yummy Grain Free Brownies and I can use some of my Roasted Pumpkin Purée to make the frosting!
- Torta di Mele (Apple Cake) by Mama Me Gluten Free. Love the slices of apples on top, this cake looks fantastic.
- Spiced Banana Ginger Loaves by Daily Bites. Brilliant! Sugar Free, indulgent looking Grain Free mini-loaves.
- Single-Serving Gluten-Free Brownie in A Matter of Minutes by Kim Lutz, Welcoming Kitchen on the Balanced Platter.
- Chocolate Cheesecake Mousse In Peanut Butter Cookie Cups by Spa Bettie. Love these cookie cups! My mind is racing with all sorts of ideas about different filling variations.
- Rosemary Caramel Almond Popcorn by Cara’s Craving. Oh my goodness, I want some now!
- Homemade Caramel Topping by Nourishing Treasures. Wow, made with honey and unbelievably simple!
- 6 Foods To Avoid Adding To Your Smoothies by Green Thickies. Good advice.
- Good To Know How Many Calories Are In Your Favourite Beverage by Lifeologia.
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes And Brussels Sprouts With Rosemary And Garlic by Oh She Glows. I love roasted veggies with fresh Rosemary.
- Oil Free Sweet Potato Chips by Daily Bites. I had a craving for sweet potatoes chips the other day but couldn’t find any in this little town where my parents live. Never thought about making my own but now I know
- Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai by Jazzy Gourmet. I have yet to try spaghetti squash and I love Pad Thai. This recipe sounds like a great combination and I have the perfect Peanut Sauce recipe to go with it.
- Gluten Free Zucchini Fritters by Jeanette’s Healthy Living. You’ve got to see these zucchini fritters. I just want to gobble them up.
- Braised Chicken Thighs With Apple Cider Sauce by gluten free girl and the chef. Oh this sounds delicious!
- Spicy Sprouted Lentil Soup by The Coconut Mama. I only recently discovered and fell in love with sprouted lentils.
- Simple Living In Practice: Simple Things To Do Before A Storm by Simple Living And Eating.
- Clean Eating Cocktail Party 2012. Every day this month there will be a new party worthy recipe posted from a host of different bloggers.
- Care Packages For The Homeless by Of Such Is The Kingdom. Love the idea of making up care packages for the homeless. I don’t feel comfortable handing over cash. If I have food to share I will, otherwise I avoid making eye contact. The one thing I might add at this time of year is a nice pair of warm socks.
- Eating healthy when you are “bone tired” by The Nourishing Gourmet. Wonderful advice and perfect timing for me as I’m out of my normal element. Nothing makes me more tired than emotional stress and I’ve had my fair share of that lately.
- How To Peel And Cut Citrus Fruit Segments – Grapefruits Oranges Lemons And Limes by Jeanette’s Healthy Living.
- Top Ten Gluten Free Meals And Snacks On The Go by Ginger Lemon Girl.
- Jeweled Autumn Moments by Writing…Apples Of Gold.
To see archived recipe links from my Must-Make-Lists, click here
To see a text listing of my gluten free recipes, click here
For dairy, egg, nut and gluten free flour substitutions, click here
It’s not always rainbows and butterflies
It’s compromise that moves us along
My heart is full, and my door’s always open
You can come anytime you want
Here’s a glance at what’s been happening in the Fox Kitchen lately…
I tried this Herbs in a Mason Jar idea. It came from Growing Herbs In A Jar by Homegrown And Healthy.
Unfortunately my beautiful looking basil didn’t survive the transplant trauma I’ve replaced the dead basil with some hearty mint from my Dad’s garden. Here’s hoping the mint will survive the winter indoors.
This Heritage Tomato Salad With Basil Dressing by Gluten Free Cat, has become my latest obsession. I love the different colours of farm fresh heritage tomatoes. Drizzled with a basil dressing…perfect!
Try it with some Pine Nuts. I know they’re expensive but well worth it for this salad. I also used a bit of Goat Feta Cheese for some added protein in my salad.
A stir fry meal has got to be one of the easiest and most satisfying to make. Packed with healthy veggies, you can serve it with rice, gluten free rice noodles, or use it as a filling for lettuce wraps like we did for our supper.
For this recipe I poach (velvet) the chicken before stir frying. It helps to keep the meat juicy and the chicken will stay creamy-white.
Topped with fresh cilantro, bean sprouts, a few extra cashews and a wedge of lime. The cilantro, citrus and mustard gives this dish a fusion feel.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Sugar Free | Grain Free | Egg Free | Real Food | Paleo
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size strips
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil, or cooking oil of choice
- ½ cup cashews, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 1 Tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey, or sweetener of choice
- 2 tsp lime juice, about ½ lime
- 1 tsp Dijon, or whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp corn starch, or starchy thickener of choice
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper, optional but gives it a nice kick
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ Cup fresh bean sprouts ***omit for paleo
- small handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- Poaching the chicken before stir frying, keeps the meat juicy and creamy-white. In a large saucepan, or a wok, boil 4 cups water. When water comes to a boil, immediately remove from heat and add the chicken. Stir to prevent chicken from sticking.
- Continue to stir for about 2-3 minutes, until chicken turns opaque but is not cooked through.
- Drain chicken, set in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- If you used your wok, drain, rinse and wipe dry.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, lemon juice, honey, lime juice, mustard and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat wok until very hot, add oil, and cashews, stirring constantly for 30-60 seconds, until starting to brown. Add carrots, zucchini, radishes and poached chicken, stir-fry another 2-4 minutes, until chicken is almost cooked through.
- Add garlic slices, bean sprouts and liquid mixture.
- Cook stirring constantly for a few minutes, until liquid is mostly evaporated and remaining sauce has thickened slightly.
- Remove to a serving tray, garnish with cilantro and a few raw bean sprouts, serve immediately
To see a text listing of Laureen’s gluten free recipes, click here
For dairy, egg, nut and gluten free flour substitutions, click here
This recipe featured at:
This post is linked to the following events:
Gluten Free Fridays | Sugar Free Sunday | Make Your Own! Mondays | Melt In Your Mouth Monday | Fat Tuesday | Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays | Traditional Tuesdays | Gluten Free Wednesdays | Wheat Free Wednesday | Real Food Wednesday | Allergy Free Wednesdays | Recipe Box | Full Plate Thursday | Simple Lives Thursday | This Is Real Thursday | Pennywise Platter Thursday | Whole Food Fridays | Foodie Friday
Copyright © thisfoxkitchen.com.